Monday, January 11, 2010

Closed mind and heart are evil; gays are not

Title to the Letter to the Editor in the Wilmington News Journal I wrote - years ago - like maybe 15 years ago - and was published. It is pinned to the board above my desk and I am prompted to share it as we wait on the Prop 8 trial.

"I read Ralph Trader's [of the Conservative Caucus of Delaware] Oct. 17th letter. "Disgusting to display homosexual pride." As a heterosexual female, I find his views disgusting.

He states that a homosexual lifestyle is contrary to the will of God and that the Old Testament and New Testament express this view. I am not a very religious person, but I was sent to Catholic school (preschool through grade 12), and if he was talking about the Christian God, I am confused. The teachings that were stressed the most in religion class were: God is all loving and all forgiving; love and acceptance; and judge not least ye be judged. I also remember being taught that Jesus was accepting of all - lepers, tax collectors and prostitutes to name a few.

I was brought up in a very moral home, with two wonderful, loving parents who taught me the values I live by. Never once was I taught that homosexuals were evil or disgusting. I was taught, however, that closed minds and hearts were.

Several of my parents' best friends are homosexuals. I thank them for bringing their friends into my life. They are some of the most warm-hearted, kind, and giving people I have been blessed with meeting."


I still feel the same way. I have many gay friends, and gay family members and I feel blessed that they have chosen to include me in their lives. I was lucky to have been brought up in a home where people were people, they weren't grouped into "straight" or "gay", and Doug and I do our best to bring that mentality into our household. Love is love, it knows no color, or sex. It is a gift that I hope my daughter is blessed with - from whomever she chooses to receive it from.

No comments: